Thursday, March 10, 2016

How Does Being Born Again Affect Your Politics?

One of the saddest conversations of my life took place about a month ago. It surrounded matters of pragmatism and of good and evil, of politics and Christianity. I won’t get into the whole conversation, but you need to understand that the person I was speaking with is a professing Christian.


This person knew I’m not planning on voting in the presidential election, and really challenged me on that, which is fine. I’m a big boy. His challenge to vote didn't bother me at all. Here’s what did:

This professing Christian then began mocking the fact that I had biblical reasoning for the choice I’ve made, calling that stance impractical. So I felt led to ask, “Which do you think is more practical in bringing good into the world: being used by God to help someone become a disciple of Jesus, or voting in an election?” The person replied rather matter-of-factly, “Well, practically speaking, voting.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, so I sought clarification. I asked, “Do you really believe that more good is brought into the world by casting a vote for a corrupt human being than by God Himself coming into a person and transforming them? Are you saying there’s more power in the ballot box than in being born again?” The professing Christian just smirked and told me I didn’t understand the way the world works.  

That kind of worldview is to be expected from someone who doesn’t believe in Jesus. But to hear a professing Christian denying the new birth… scoffing at regeneration? It seemed blasphemous.

While I was appalled in the moment, now I am saddened. I am saddened because I don’t believe this person is alone. I am convinced that this belief system is pervasive in our culture. Paul said it well in 2 Timothy 3:1-2 & 5, “But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be … holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power.” I am saddened because real souls are at stake.

What is the great deception that causes American Christians to deny the miraculous regenerative power of being born again by God? It is the idol of the American dream. It's the traditional firm resolve to save ourselves, and then, out of courtesy, tip our hat to the man upstairs as we pass him by.

Which do you believe in more: the power of the new birth or the American dream? Before you answer, let me ask the Christians who are reading this a couple questions. First, how many city, state or national elections have you voted in over the course of your life? Got a rough estimate? Write down that number.

Second, how many people has Jesus used you to personally lead to receive Him as their Lord and Savior? Write that number down beside the first one.

If the first number is much bigger than the second, there is a BIG problem. If those numbers are even close to each other, there is a problem. For many of us, the vote test shows where our real hope rests.

The early Christians could not vote, and did not seek to become emperors. But that didn’t stop the early Christians from being a mighty force for societal change. To the early Christians, there is no more powerful force for good in the world than the Holy Spirit. And when the Spirit of Jesus comes into someone, He truly has the power to transform them into His likeness.

So, like the early Christians, do you fully believe in the practical power of regeneration and discipleship to transform lives and societies?

Giving to the disciples the power of regeneration into God, He said to them, “Go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” For [God] promised, that in the last times He would pour Him [the Spirit] upon [His] servants and handmaids… working the will of the Father in them, and renewing them from their old habits into the newness of Christ. – Irenaeus 180CE, Volume 1, p. 738 [CD-ROM]

No comments:

Post a Comment