Thursday, May 5, 2016

Lord's Prayer Pt. 5 - Forgive Us As We Forgive

In the Christian culture where I was raised, we were taught to view the Bible as the inerrant, infallible word of God. I’m glad that I was given that foundation, because scripture teaches that it is completely inspired by God… breathed out by the Holy Spirit Himself. Looking back, though, I have noticed that there were several instances in the church where it was insinuated that the pastor or teacher’s interpretation was more authoritative than the simple words of Christ.

For instance, let’s explore Jesus’ teaching on forgiveness.


The Lord’s prayer in Matthew 6:12 calls us to pray, “And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.” Did you notice that little word as? It means ‘in the same way’. Little word – big implications.

Do you really forgive all people of their sins in the same way you want God to forgive you of your sins? And do you believe He will answer this prayer?

Perhaps the most detailed and shocking story told by Jesus on the importance of forgiveness is found in Matthew 18:21-35. A servant is mercifully forgiven an unimaginable debt by his master, yet afterwards refuses to forgive a fellow servant of a minor debt in comparison. When the master hears of the injustice, he hands him over to the torturers until his debt can be paid off (he owed more than 150,000 years worth of salary). Jesus concludes this parable by saying, “My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart. (vs. 35)”

Do you really believe that God will have His servants tortured if they don’t forgive other Christians from their heart?

Though my church culture growing up believed it was imperative to forgive, they didn't really teach that a Christian refusing to forgive others could affect that Christian's eternal experience. The early Christians took the matter of forgiveness with the utmost seriousness and believed it did affect our eternal standing with God. Look at these two examples:

If then we ask the Lord to forgive us, we ought to also forgive; for we are before the eyes of our Lord and God, and “we must all appear at the judgment-seat of Christ, and must every one give an account of himself.” Let us then serve Him in fear, and with all reverence, even as He Himself has commanded us, and as the apostles who preached the Gospel unto us. – Polycarp 135CE, Volume 1, p. 60 [CD-ROM]

He has clearly … bound us by a certain condition and engagement, that we should ask that our debts be forgiven us in such a manner as we ourselves forgive our debtors, knowing that that which we seek for our sins cannot be obtained unless we ourselves have acted in a similar way in respect of our debtors. … There remains no ground of excuse in the day of judgment, when you will be judged according to your own sentence; and whatever you have done, that you will also suffer. For God commands us to be peacemakers. – Cyprian 250CE, Volume 5, p. 793-794 [CD-ROM]

Being a parent will just about force you to learn how to be forgiving if you struggle with that issue. I’ve never had to offer forgiveness more often in a two year period than I have since Steph and I adopted siblings in 2014. It was a difficult adjustment for me during that first year, primarily because I was being pulled out of deep levels of selfishness I didn't know existed.

There was one point early in year one when I was getting repeatedly lied to and hurt every day, and began to harbor a significant amount of bitterness. It was affecting my mood, concentration, patience, relationships, driving and sleep. One day I felt God calling me to get down on my knees at my bed to confess this bitterness and forgive my kids.

As I began to confess the bitterness, an oppressive force seemed to manifest. I know this sounds weird, but something began to choke me. I tried to rebuke whatever it was in Jesus’ name, but I couldn’t breathe or speak. Finally, after about 20 seconds of crying out to God in my heart and mind, I managed to eek out, “Spirit of bitterness, I rebuke you in Jesus’ name.” And just like that, everything went back to normal. I quickly forgave my kids.

I’ve never experienced anything like that before, and, praise God, never anything like that since.

Bringing this to a head, there are many phrases in the Lord’s Prayer that the human heart just doesn’t want to take seriously. Yet, of all the things Jesus could say in response to the vital issues we are commanded to pray for, He immediately follows the prayer with, “For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions (Matt. 6:14-15).”

So I ask, do you really believe Jesus that if you don’t forgive other people their sins, God will not forgive you of your sins?

Who do you need to make amends with today?

No comments:

Post a Comment