Monday, December 19, 2016

The Unlikely Apostle Pt. 6: “All Scripture Is Inspired By God”

As a young child, why did I try to punch my doctor when he attempted to give me a penicillin shot? Then in seventh grade, why did I shoot a paper taco at my History teacher’s head on the last day of school? Why did I lie to the policeman who pulled me over for speeding during my first month of having my license?

Why do kids rebel against the authorities in their lives? Well, after being a parent for two-and-a-half years now, I think the answer is that they choose to obey the authority of their feelings. As simple as it sounds, “I wanted to,” is usually the most honest response a child will give for his or her disobedience.

What about us? What about the Church? What is the authority that guides our values, policies, services and daily decisions?

A typical church doctrinal statement will usually contain something like this:
“The Scriptures: We believe and accept fully the writings of the Old and New Testaments as inspired by God, wholly without error as originally given, altogether sufficient as our infallible and authoritative rule of faith and practice.”

And what is the reason for such a strong statement for the Bible being the authoritative rule of faith and practice of the church? Generally, a church will reference 2 Timothy 3.

You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. – 2 Timothy 3:14-17


Unlike many in our culture, Paul takes a high view of the Scriptures. The early Christians did so as well, holding fast to the belief in the inspiration and authority of our sacred text.

Look carefully into the Scriptures, which are the true utterances of the Holy Spirit. Observe that nothing of an unjust or counterfeit character is written in them. … Take up the epistle of the blessed Apostle Paul. What did he write to you at the time when the Gospel first began to be preached? Truly, under the inspiration of the Spirit, he wrote to you. – Clement of Rome 95CE, Volume 1, p. 33, 35 [CD-ROM]

The Scriptures which we believe are valid from their omnipotent authority. – Clement of Alexandria 195CE, Volume 2, p. 671, [CD-ROM]

Life is full of moments where we have to make important decisions.

Should I marry this person? How do I make amends? Should I take this job? Should I leave this job? What should I do with my money? Where should I serve the Church?

In those kinds of times, it’s natural to start and end with our feelings. It’s natural to dwell on what we think will make us happy. But as Christians, our ultimate authority should be the Holy Spirit guiding us through the whole of the God-breathed Scriptures.

Do you have a critical decision to make? Are you facing a moral dilemma? What does the whole counsel of the Scriptures have to say about it?


The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true; they are righteous altogether. They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them Your servant is warned; in keeping them there is great reward. Who can discern his errors? Acquit me of hidden faults. Also keep back Your servant from presumptuous sins; let them not rule over me; then I will be blameless, and I shall be acquitted of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer. – Psalm 19:7-14

No comments:

Post a Comment